Monday, April 6, 2009

The Little Things

After going over a lot of the code from Herodom, I realized just how much I'd have to totally rehaul, and eventually it occurred to me I was probably better off starting from scratch. It's an old project I started a long time ago and my grasp of coding was flimsy at best, and as a result the code is clunky, hard to work with, and completely ineffectual. This got me pretty down for a while, but I've worked out a way to get myself back into the groove, in terms of both technical workings and motivation: A small game which is simple, fun to create, will eventually serve as a springboard back into my other games, and will help me learn numerous things along the way so I don't make the same mistakes again.

Thus was born The Little Things.
The Little Things is a puzzle-platformer with a focus on exploration and collection. There aren't very many places you can die and the generally twitch controls are downplayed. The point of the game is to explore your world both above and below ground and collect the titular Little Things -- small living beings that can survive in tiny glass flasks and cages, which range from small insects and tiny creatures to worldly spirits and magical wisps. As a Lomite Collector, your primary task is to explore the fantastic world and collect these tiny things in their natural and unnatural environments, but along this path you'll also find yourself selling and trading them to interested buyers for specific equipment and tools, visiting strange people and places, and encouraging metamorphosis of your Little Things through animistic and alchemical means.
In short, it's Knytt meets Pokémon, without the combat.

You can play the demo (which is little more at this point than a proof of concept) HERE.
Controls are simple: Arrow keys move, look up, climb, drop through platforms, and crouch. CTRL jumps.
Nothing much to do in the demo, but as I said it's just a proof of concept.
I've spent about 6 hours on this so far.

1 comment:

  1. I'll be following this project very closely, keep it up! :3

    ReplyDelete