Tuesday, April 14, 2009

Chugga chugga chugga

As of last night, the foundational engine for The Little Things is complete. This means a lot of things, but most importantly, it means the bulk of coding is finished. What remains is content production. Now don't get me wrong, there's still lots
left to do before this is a complete game, and it will be many more weeks, but the important thing is that now that I have laid this modular foundation, adding this content is as easy as drawing up a sprite and plugging in a few numbers to make a creature, or throwing down a bunch of tiles to make a map. The way everything interacts is already calculated.

So while there's still a lot more work to be done, this work will be, by and large, easy work. No more slogging through code and pulling my hair out wondering why the hell things aren't working.
Sure, drawing sprites and making maps will take time, but it doesn't ever make mo go ARGH HOW DO I DO THIS or FFFFF WHY ISN'T THIS WORKING.
So the frustrating, right-brained, mathematics-'n'-syntax part is essentially finished. What's left is largely left-brained creative "you know what would be neat" stuff. And knowing this makes my exceedingly happy.

Also, I was going to release another demo, but I figure now that I've got the engine all settled and content production can begin, I might as well take the time to make some new rooms and critters and actually lay out a proper demo for once, rather than what we've had so far, which is basically test rooms crammed with all the gameplay features I could showcase in a nonsensical manner. So I figure if I take one or two days to put together something nice I can make something really worth showing. I'll post as soon as that's ready.

Hard to believe I've come this far in just one week.

3 comments:

  1. Um, I do believe it is the left hemisphere of the brain that is responsible for logical thinking, mathematic stuff, while the right hemisphere is the creative, irrational side. >_>;

    ReplyDelete
  2. No big deal, just thought you'd like to know. :3c

    You're doing a really great job with all of this, I have to say, I'm really excited for the end product. =D

    ReplyDelete